If you are like many homeowners, you may take your home’s electricity for granted. However, what would happen if the wiring went bad?

Unfortunately, around 52% of houses in the U.S. were built before 1980, which means if you live in an older home, bad wiring is a real possibility.

Because of the dangers of bad wiring, it’s important to know the signs of this problem. This will help you know when you need to call an electrician for help.

Circuit Breakers That Trip Often

Circuit breakers are designed to trip when needed. However, if your breakers are tripping more often than usual, you should take steps to remedy the problem. One is to unplug some of the devices in that circuit. If that doesn’t fix the issue, then the circuit breaker will have to be replaced.

If neither one of the solutions fix the problem, have an electrician inspect your home’s wiring to determine if there is a hazard.

Lights That Flicker

You should watch for lights in your home that dim, flicker, or buzz. When plugging in any appliance, the lights should not dim. If this happens, it is an indication that the electrical current isn’t flowing the right way. You should also listen for any of the light switches in your home that sound like they are buzzing when you turn them on. These are all red flags of potentially bad wiring that needs to be addressed.

Electrical Outlets That Are Hot to the Touch

If your home has old or faulty wiring, it means it is likely to send excessive electricity to your outlets. A sign this is happening is f the outlets feel hot, are dark, or scorched. In some cases, this is a sign there’s an energy leak that is heating up the outlet and wires connected to it. The excess electricity may damage your devices and appliances, and in some situations, it may even cause a fire.

Chewed or Frayed Wiring

Is there wiring in your home that is chewed or frayed? If so, the concern is bigger than just critters in your house. If the protective plastic coating on the wires is damaged, it means the electrical circuit is open. When this happens, the electricity can arc, which can cause shocks or a fire.

Smoky or Burning Odor

The smell of melting plastic or a burning odor close to an outlet means that there is already fire damage present. Make sure that you unplug anything in the outlet and get in touch with an electrician right away to inspect your home’s wiring.

Don’t Wait to Get Help with Wiring Issues

If you notice wiring issues in your home, the best thing you can do is contact an electrician. They can inspect your home’s wiring and determine if updates or repairs are needed. If you ignore the signs of a problem, it may eventually cause a devastating electrical fire. Being informed is the best way to protect your home and family.